With the diagnosis of ADHD or ADS, many people are quickly at hand, but really only a comprehensive and serious ADHD test gives. ADHD is a widespread disorder and a permanent topic on which there are many books and information pages on the net. This diversity is confusing.
- First ADHD test, then to the doctor
- Consult WITH ADHD experts
- Contact persons for an ADHD test are:
- Parents can learn about the ADHD test
- Check your guess for ADHD
- According to DSM-5 (2013), adHD sufferers must show at least one of the following two behavioral patterns:
- ADHD test: How many of the criteria apply?
- Criterion 1: Inattention
- AD(H)S by Uta Reimann-Höhn
- Criterion 2: Overactivity
- Criterion 3: Impulsivity
- Evaluation adHD test
- AdHD test takes several sessions
- Not every abnormality is equal to ADHD
- ADHD test distinguishes four types
- ADHD does not have to negatively affect life
- After the ADHD test, the diagnosis of ADHD follows
- ADHD test often includes an intelligence test
- Contact persons for an ADHD test are:
- The therapy for ADHD has many facets
First ADHD test, then to the doctor
In addition, the mental disorder is repeatedly called into question. This is due to the three main symptoms that each person can more or less identify in himself.
- hyperactive or hypoactive behavior
The limit from normal behavior to a disorder such as AD(H)S is fluid. No one can pindown them to this day. An ADHD test on the Internet can only be a first step to consolidate the presumption of the presence of the disorder.
Consult WITH ADHD experts
Educators, teachers, friends and relatives cannot diagnose ADHD, at most provide a boost. If a child or adolescent has more and more problems in everyday life, a professional clarification with a high-quality diagnosis makes sense. This is best done by an experienced doctor.
Contact persons for an ADHD test are:
- the pediatrician and adolescent doctor
- the family doctor
- Child and adolescent psychiatrist
- Ambulances and social pediatric centres
Parents can learn about the ADHD test
Only professionals can perform a serious ADHD test. However, parents or relatives can prepare and inform about the most common symptoms of the disorder and early signs. This helps and provides security. No one goes to the specialist for no reason and has their child examined for illness or disorder.
Especially with ADHD (formerly ADS) there is often a high pressure of suffering before the parents present their child to the doctor. It is not uncommon for them to be made aware by the school or by friends and acquaintances that they should have their or her child’s behaviour checked by a doctor. Not an easy walk!
Check your guess for ADHD
An ADHD test asks for the following symptoms. We don’t think of a self-test, but the examination of the first signs such as hyperactivity or impulsivity and attention problems is very possible with the usual diagnostic tools.
- Inattention (inattention)
ADHD test: How many of the criteria apply?
Answer the questions carefully and realistically. Try to assess whether it is normal, childlike behavior, or whether it is conspicuous. Add up your yes votes in the ADHD test and note them among the main features. At the end you will find a help for the evaluation.
Criterion 1: Inattention
- My child is often inattentive to details, he makes a lot of care mistakes.
- My child is often unable to maintain attention when doing tasks and playing.
- My child often doesn’t seem to hear what’s being said.
- My child often can’t follow explanations or perform tasks.
- Organizing tasks and activities is often impaired. It forgets appointments or doubles them.
- My child often avoids tasks that require mental stamina, such as homework
- It often loses items that are important for certain tasks.
- My child is often distracted by external stimuli, a car in front of the house, a hole in the stocking, an idea.
- It is often forgetful in the course of everyday activities.
AD(H)S by Uta Reimann-Höhn
Criterion 2: Overactivity
- My child often fiddles with his hands and feet or whisps on the chair.
- It leaves its place when sitting is expected to remain.
- My child often walks around or climbs excessively in inappropriate situations (just a feeling of restlessness in adolescents and adults).
- It is often unnecessarily noisy while playing or has difficulties with quiet leisure activities (alternatively: difficulty playing quietly, dealing quietly).
- My child shows a persistent pattern of excessive motor activities, it is not overly influenced by the social context or prohibitions (alternatively: often “on the axis”, acts “as driven”)
- excessive talkMy child talks excessively, is hard to stop.n
Criterion 3: Impulsivity
- My child often bursts out with the answer before the question is finished.
- It often can not wait, is very impatient.
- It is noticeable by frequently interrupting and disturbing others.
Evaluation adHD test
If the vast majority of the 18 criteria mentioned occur or apply to your child, there is a high probability that there is an attention deficit syndrome (ADHD).
In this case, you should consult specialists and seek a medically secured diagnosis. The experts will then carry out a special and extensive test in order to obtain a diagnosis.
AdHD test takes several sessions
Based on recommended guidelines, the experts will conduct an ADHD test. This can take several sessions in which, in addition to detailed discussions, test psychological and physical examinations are also carried out. The ADHD test excludes possible other causes in order to recommend a possible therapy.
Not every abnormality is equal to ADHD
To diagnose the widespread attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder ADHD, it is sufficient that the symptoms occur for the first time until the age of 12. The DSM-V also emphasizes that ADHD can persist into adulthood. The DSM-5 is the fifth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders classification system published by the American Psychiatric Association. This version replaced the fourth edition in May 2013, in which the ADHD diagnosis is now handled a little more rigorously. DSM; English for “Diagnostic and Statistical Guide to Mental Disorders”
ADHD test distinguishes four types
The experts speak of four different types of disturbance.
- The ADHD mixed type (all components present)
- The predominantly inattentive ADHD type (mainly inattentive)
- The predominantly hyperactive-impulsive ADHD type (mainly hyperactive and impulsive)
- The ADHD-residual type (adolescent or adult, in which not all symptoms that were present in the past are pronounced)
ADHD does not have to negatively affect life
These types are not identical in themselves, but differ in the strength and expression of the symptoms. ADHD can therefore show itself quite differently and is therefore not easy or premature to diagnose.
The silent, dreamy, dormant computer earth can be affected as well as the loud, constantly talking and extremely strenuous extreme athlete or moderator. As long as a sufferer can integrate the symptoms of The ADH disorder into his life and perhaps even use them positively, therapy is usually not necessary. However, if the symptoms are very pronounced and hinder life, the patient benefits from help. The ADHD test clarifies here.
After the ADHD test, the diagnosis of ADHD follows
There is no single test psychological procedure to definitively determine attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Various examinations and consultations with the specialist are necessary in order to reach a diagnosis after an ADHD test.
In the case of initial diagnosis of ADHD in adolescence, an organic or mental illness must always be considered. Psychosis, a manic episode or a schizophrenic disorder can be ruled out by the specialist.
This also applies to a personality, anxiety or panic disorder. After the exclusion of other causal diseases and the existence of the results of the discussion sizing on the temporal occurrence of the symptoms, the diagnosis of ADHD can be made.
ADHD test often includes an intelligence test
An intelligence diagnosis may also be made, but the procedure is controversial. Especially in adolescents, there are a number of factors that can influence the outcome of an intelligence test. The teens may not be honest, have used drugs or alcohol and do not trust the person being tested. A positive personal contact is often crucial in order to be able to make a good diagnosis.
The therapy for ADHD has many facets
Interventions to be applied may include:
- Education and advice on the social environment of the person concerned. In the case of children and adolescents in particular, psychoeducational involvement of parents, educators and class teachers.
- Interventions in kindergarten and school to reduce symptoms in kindergarten and school.
- Cognitive behavioral therapy to reduce impulsive and disorganized task solutions and self-management training to modify problem behavior.
- Pharmacotherapy to reduce hyperkinetic symptoms.
- Separate treatment of possible comorbidities.
Depending on the diagnosis, the attending physician will propose a form of therapy or a combination of the forms of therapy.
In most cases, medication is used either with
- stimulants such as methylphenidate (rit.) or with
- Atomoxetine (norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors such as strattera)
other building blocks of multimodal therapy are supplemented if required.
“Depending on the appearance, the severity of the disease and the nature of the accompanying disorders and the extent of the impairment, psychosocial, pedagogical, psychotherapeutic and drug measures are suitable for therapy, which can complement each other as individual building blocks within the framework of an overall treatment concept.” 
It is important that families are not left alone with the problem and that the therapy is regularly checked for its effectiveness. The doctor can thus adjust the individual building blocks if individual parameters are no longer effective or new areas in need of treatment are added in everyday life.